Thursday, 28 January 2016

Macro Ring Light Review

Hi everyone! I've been on a little blog break for a few weeks because I got a little overwhelmed by all the things I had to do for school and other things besides my blog, but I'm back! I said I would write a review on the macro ring light that I bought recently, and here it is! I bought a macro ring light mainly because I was curious and I wanted to try it out. I also liked that you can have the ring light on constantly so it's also very useful for filming! I've used this flash in several blogpost so far and I mentioned it in '7 things I loved in November.' For those of you who are looking for ways to improve your (blog) photos, this ring light might be the thing you need! In this post I'll tell you my experience with this ring light so far, the pros en cons, I'll show you some test photos and I'll compare it with my other external flash (Canon speedlite 430EX).

This ring flash is from Falcon Eyes and it's the MRC-80FV and it costs around 60 - 70 euro's. The Canon speedlite 430EX that I already had is around 250 euro's.


This ring flash can be used for different camera's and this is what it looks like on my camera:


Below you can see all the things that came with this ring light. The only thing I still needed to buy were four AA batteries. The black rings are needed to place the ring light onto your lens (which is really easy). The black rings are in six different sizes (52mm, 55mm, 58mm, 62mm, 67mm and 72mm) so you can put it on different lenses. 


The thing below goes onto your camera and you can test if the flash works. You have the option F for flash, and the L option which stands for light I think. With the L option you can keep the light on. With the little gear on the right you can change the brightness of the light, but this only works for the constant light (L) so it doesn't change the brightness of the flash. 


Let's try it out!
I took a few random photos in my room to test this macro ring light. Because there was already some light in my room, I preferred the L option (constant light) over the flash option because this way I can adjust the brightness of the ring light because the flash option is a little too bright sometimes. I also took some photos with my speedlite external flash to compare them. I used my canon 700D with a 55mm lens to take these photos. All photos are unedited.


Portraits
I also tested this flash for portraits and even though the second photo is a little out of focus (my fault), I prefer the speedlite more for portraits than the macro ring light because it looks more natural and the macro ring light makes my skin and hair look really pale! So if you're using the macro ring light for portraits, make sure you're not standing too close in front of the camera.


I also tried this flash with a 18-200 mm lens:


Pros and cons

cons
• You can see the ring light when you're using a wider lens. (see photo above)

• If there isn't enough natural light, this ring flash can create a blurry shadow around a person or object what I personally don't like, but it's not THAT bad. 

• Compared with the speedlite, this flash has a more cold, less natural light. 

• The ring flash lights up in two parts, but this is only visible with a shutter speed higher than 1/250s so you can only use this ring flash with a shutter speed of 1/250s or lower.


pros
• It's not that expensive, especially when you compare it with the speedlite external flash for example.

• The speedlite can create harsh shadows but the macro ring light doesn't because its placed around your lens. A good example is the photos with the cactuses.

• It's very useful for filming when you're using the light option.

• It comes in handy when there isn't enough natural light and you can also set your shutter speed higher which is great if you don't want any movement blur in your photos.

• It's great for portraits and macro photos. (but make sure that a person is not standing too close in front of the camera to avoid pale skin and hair)


Overall I'm very enthusiastic about this macro ring light! What do you guys think of it? Let me know! :) 

Love,
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Valerie Randomness. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig