Wednesday, 21 October 2015

How to give your photos a cosy autumn look


If you're like me and you love autumn and taking photos, then you have probably taken lots of photos this season! Autumn is my favourite season and I just love all the warm colours, orange leaves, the sunny days, and even the colder days too. I just want to capture all of these things that I love about autumn with my camera! Today I want to share with you my first post about how I edit my photos using photoshop and how you can give your autumn photos a nice cosy feeling in just a few easy steps!


Before & After
(at the end of this post you'll find more photos)




original photo:

This effect works best if there are yellow and red things in the photo. Like leaves! I'm going to use this photo that I took of my cat Nozem, who was kind enough to pose for me. 




step 1 (optional) : Camera RAW
I always take my photos in RAW so I can edit the lights and shadows more precisely in the camera RAW editing part that I get when I open a RAW photo in photoshop. This is completely optional, but I definitely recommend it if you're very precise with editing your photos. 
If you're curious which camera settings I used, you can actually see it on the top right part on the photo below! 


I made the photo a tiny bit brighter, gave it more contrast and clarity and pulled down the highlights and whites to make the white parts of my cat less bright and then I click 'open image' to open it up in photoshop. 



Step 2: Selective color
 I like to play with the colours a bit to give it the look and feel that I want. I used the effect selective colour and made the reds warmer by making it more yellow and the yellows warmer by making it more red and magenta. (see photos below) I just play around with it until I'm happy with the colours. I also made the whites warmer by making it more yellow, magenta and red, and gave the blacks a little more green/blue-ish colour which gives a really nice contrast with the yellow and red colours.




Step 3: 'Cosy effect'
To make the photo even more cosy I create a new fill layer (Layer>New Fill Layer>Solid Color...) I call it 'cosy effect' (but you can call it anything you want of course) and I use the colour: #e1ded0. Then I change it from 'normal' to 'linear burn' and give it an opacity of 39%. Play around with the opacity until you're happy with the result. :) This is an effect that I use a lot actually and not just on my autumn photos! 




Step 4: Sunny effect
I make a new fill layer, the same way as I did it in step 3 (Layer>New Fill Layer>Solid Color...) and call it 'sunny effect' (just so I know which one is which). I use the colour #eeebd6 and give it an opacity of 11%. (again: just play around with the opacity until you're happy with the result :D) This layer makes my photo look more bright and sunny! 

The Result


And that's it! I often save an effect as a photoshop action so I can use it again without having to do all these steps again. You can also drag another photo in the photoshop project and place it underneath the effect layers. Sometimes this effect is a bit too much because some photos have more yellow and red in it so I just change the opacity to match the photo better!



Examples

Here are some more examples of the same effect on some of my other autumn photos!


I hope this post is useful and that you like it! If you have any question or if something is not clear, just ask me in the comments below and I will answer as soon as possible! :)

warm hugs,

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Valerie Randomness. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig