Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Mumford and Sons live in Goffertpark


 I have been waiting for this day for so long! I first discovered Mumford and Sons in 2009 when I saw them play Little Lion Man on MTV and have been a fan of their music ever since. But in all those years I've never seen them live, until last saturday when they played in Goffertpark in Nijmegen (the Netherlands) and oh my goodness they were absolutely amazing! A night I won't ever forget. For those of you who don't know who Mumford and Sons is: Mumford and Sons is a (folk)rock band from England and has 4 members. Their third album came out this May and is called "Wilder Mind".

Gofferpark is a park in Nijmegen which is also used for festivals and concerts and is big enough for 60 thousand people! At first I wasn't really happy that they were playing in a park instead of in a arena because it could rain or it could be super cold (because that's what the weather is like in the Netherlands most of the time). But instead of rain or cold, they predicted that it would be the hottest day in history in the Netherlands! Luckily that wasn't the case, but still a very hot day (35 degrees). I wasn't sure how I would take the heat, especially in a place with so many people, and I didn't want to faint or something so I did a little research on how to make the heat more bearable. Below is a list of things that I did which really helped me!

Tips for a hot day at a concert/festival:
• Place a bottle of water in the freezer the night before (people were allowed to bring their own water at this concert because of the heat, normally you have to buy it there)
• Instead of a normal backpack, bring a cooler backpack with cooling elements so your water stays cold (you can also use the cooling elements to cool yourself!)
• Make sure to drink enough water during the day!
• Eat enough during the day! I ate a lot of apples because they stayed very cool in the cooler backpack.
• Make sure to rub yourself in with sunscreen regularly
• Wear a hat or scarf to protect your head from the sun
• Wear sunglasses with uv protection
• Wear a thin scarf over your shoulders and arms to protect them from burning in the sun
• Bring a fan (This made such a big difference!)
• Get enough sleep the night before


The first supporting act started at 4:30 and Mumford and Sons would be on stage at 8:45. It already became more crowded around 5pm so my friend and I went to the front line on time to wait there so we were assured of a good spot. But that did mean we had to wait for a few hours at that spot, but those hours flew by really fast actually. 
After a certain time they don't let any more people in to the front line unless you had a yellow bracelet, so we made sure we got one of those on time. 


The supporting acts were Eaves, Bear's Den and The Vaccines. I hadn't heard of them, but I must say they were really good!


The Vaccines was the last supporting act and played for one whole hour. Because we were standing at the front line, we were able to see more details. I saw that Winston Marshall (from Mumford and Sons) was standing next to the stage making weird faces to the guitarist of The Vaccines which looked really funny. Not much later he even joined The Vaccines when they played "Give me a sign" and even Marcus Mumford (the lead singer of Mumford and Sons) joined them on stage! The crowd wasn't expecting that! After the song they left again. 


And after a little delay, Mumford and Sons finally came on stage. Not much later the sun went down and there was the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen.
Listening to Mumford and Sons live when the sun goes down, how great is that?!


There were 50 thousend (!!) people at the concert and I heard some people complain on the train home that they couldn't really see what was happening and that they didn't feel involved in the concert. Some reviews also said "Goffertpark too large for Mumford and Sons".  At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to stand in the front line because of the heat and all the people, but I'm so glad that I did after hearing these things. You're not only feeling more involved, but you can hear everything better and you can see small details, like that they were smoking (a little) during the show, not sure if it was weed though. 
I'm also glad that they played a lot of songs of my favourite album Sigh No More including Dust Bowl Dance. I posted a short video of them playing that song on my instagram. When they played songs like I Will Wait, little Lion Man, The Cave and Babel, everybody around me was dancing, jumping and singing along. Another great thing about these concerts is that you can sing out of tune and as loud as you want because nobody will hear you anyway! 
I don't agree with the reviews that said that they don't know how to play for a big crowd, I personally think that they were absolutely fantastic and also really funny with their stories between songs. They were also interacting with the crowd, asking us to translate things for example. For me it was just perfect, especially with the sunset. A night I won't ever forget.   

All photos are made by me with my Canon s120. :)




Love, 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Valerie Randomness. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig